Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions – Opening and Funding a Personal Portfolio

What Types Of Accounts Are Supported For Personal Portfolios?

Both individual and joint taxable brokerage accounts, Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs, SEP IRAs, LLCs, LPs, UGMAs, UTMAs and irrevocable and revocable trusts are currently supported by Motley Fool Wealth Management in our Personal Portfolio program. However, if you plan on opening an LLC, LP, UGMA, UTMA or irrevocable trust, please contact us at 844-408-4391 so we can assist you with the intricacies of setting up these accounts.

Personal Portfolios cannot support 401(k)'s, 403(b)'s, 529s, or profit sharing plans at this time. However, 401(k)'s or 403(b)'s from former employers typically allow you to roll those funds into a Traditional IRA without tax consequences, which we can then of course manage for you. We recommend that you consult with your tax advisor prior to attempting to roll these over.

Please note, if you open an IRA Personal Portfolio, you will not be able to incorporate the Pro model strategy in that account, since Pro requires the ability to use shorting and options trades, which is not available in IRAs.

See what we would recommend for you